Saturday, July 3, 2010

A cure for a bad day

It's one of the only places I can stand to be along with my thoughts. It's one of the only places that I feel comfortable being vulnerable. There is something renewing about the waves crashing on the beach and then retreating back. It has always reminded me of a really tame game of tag or a calculated race to the shore. Although there is a rhythm to to the way the water moves, there is always an uncertainty of its pattern. Growing up by the ocean my whole life has given me a healthy respect for it, so I will always have a slight fear of its unexpected movements.

One thing that has always amazed me about the ocean is that just the surface of it is enough for me to be mesmerized. I can sit for so long just staring at the ebb and flow of the tide. But that is just what is visible by the naked eye from the beach. Every once in awhile my eye will catch an animal in the horizon, or tumbling seaweed and shells getting washed up on shore, or a bird diving hungrily. Those things are what remind me that He created a whole other kingdom that thrives under the constant movement that I see from the beach. And then I remember that this is what humility feels like. Maybe that is why I seek out the beach on a bad day. I am seeking out humility through God's creation.      

No comments: