Friday, July 31, 2009

One day

I meant to write this post last weekend. I have meant to write a lot of posts but my mind has been swimming.

July 25th, 2006 is a date that will forever be ingrained in my head. That single day was the catalyst for so much change in my life and I am not sure that I can really illustrate this through my writing. On July 25th, 2006 I returned from a five week mission trip in Ireland and England with 15 other people who quickly became some of my closest friends. After five weeks of a tight-knit family setting I was quickly plunged back into the shallow, materialistic world that I called home for so long. I was nervous to be back and I was sad to have left my new found family behind.

On my way home my phone began to ring. It was my new friend's brother giving me a call. That was the first day that we spoke to one another independently of his sister forcing a phone in my hand and forcing me to. He called because he "just felt like he should." We spoke for a bit and then I lost service. I quickly found myself to be home and heading to the beach with some of my friends. We strolled up to another friend's house and that is when we started to hear tons of sirens blaring down Highway 1. Within minutes my first day home quickly turned sour.

The first news we heard, about a half an hour later, was that some students from our high school had gotten into a crash down the coast. As the night continued on details were being texted, emailed and called around to everyone. By the end of the night we had the final details. Ryan Fields and Alex Robinson had died and the three others in the car had survived but were injured-- some in critical condition.

I had to push that phone call from my friend's brother to the back of my mind and switch into friend mode. We all did. We all had to be there for one another in a way that most of us had not had to do before. The next few days was filled with paddle outs, memory sharing and the numbing of emotions that we were not yet ready to share.

Little did I know that my friend's brother and I would talk every day from July 25th to October and then we would finally meet. And then date. And still be dating, now, three years later. I also entered into my senior year of high school. My final year. I was so done. I was so excited to move on to Seattle and get away from that small town that did not get me.

And now here, today, when I am about to embark on a new adventure to Nicaragua for the next nine days I cannot help but think how when I return my life will be so drastically different. On July 25th, 2006 I had no idea what that date would mean to me three years later. I had no idea that I would remember the date and use it as such a time marker. What will August 9th mean for me? I cannot wait to share that with everyone in my life!

Rest in peace Alex and Ryan. You will always been in the hearts and minds of your friends and family.

July 25th will never be forgotten in this heart.

No comments: