Thursday, February 11, 2010

Nica, you're on my mind

 
I realize that I have not been doing a very good job at keeping up with this blog. I really am trying, but it always amazes me how much time being a student takes up. This quarter is a little different though. My time is not being filled with exams and papers and readings. Instead, I have been busy planning events and diving head first into studying, researching and trying to get a better grasp on the region of Latin America. 

I am currently doing research for a paper that will be exploring the relationship between the United States and Nicaragua and how it changed (or morphed) as the last Somoza was in power to the time of the revolution to Ortega's first presidency. Interestingly enough, this research has magnetized me to my interest in the role that the Roman Catholic Church and Liberation Theology has played in Latin American revolutions. And this is only indulged more with a current professor that I have a class with this quarter; she just happened to do her dissertation on Liberation Theology and had spent some time in Nicaragua during the revolution. 

I am excited to learn again. I am excited to have a wealth of knowledge to pass on to those around me.

No comments: