Monday, April 20, 2009

On my mind.

All night after mass yesterday and so far this morning I cannot get this scene from CS Lewis' The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe out of my head:

"Is-is he a man?" asked Lucy
"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion-the Lion, the great Lion."
"Ooh!" said Susan. "I'd thought he was a man. Is he quite-safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."
"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver, "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without ther knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."
"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver..."Who said anything about safe? Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you ."

I know that this an often-quoted part of the book, but for good reason in deed. It is so easy for one to think about Jesus as safe and one's life with Jesus as safe, because that is easy. But a life in Jesus is anything but safe. But it is good.

It's hard to remember that being scared and not knowing is okay.

No comments: