Monday, October 13, 2008

Masticate on this.

Within my two weeks back at Seattle Pacific University I have learned and have been present in the making of a few new terms:

Spudent (noun) 1: one who attends Seattle Pacific University

Gweakfast, Gwunch and Gwinner (noun) 1. Breakfast, lunch and dinner in Gwinn Commons (the cafeteria on SPU's campus)

Gwinning (verb) 1. The act of eating in Gwinn Commons

My first two weeks back have been a bit chaotic, but it truly does feel good to be back. I did not realize how much I was yearning to be back in a classroom setting, especially a classroom setting as fulfilling as the experience at SPU. Most of all, though, it feels good to be back with my friends. I have realized how much each one of their absences this summer took a toll on me. I have come to appreciate each one of my friends, new and old, so much in the past two weeks. I am the type of person that needs to literally talk through things in order to process, well, anything. My friend, Puffin, and I were talking one evening and I feel as though she put it beautifully. Puffin explained it as we had spent all last year pouring into one another and allowing others to pour into us and then all of the sudden we were void of this emotional and intellectual bond, and it was hard. Of course, she was much more eloquent.

All in all, it feels good to be back. I cannot imagine surrounding myself around better people, except for the few that are sprinkled around the US that are already far, far away from me. And maybe that says something about SPU, too. The emphasis of community at SPU creates relationships like the one that I have with Puffin, and all my other friends here. As annoyed as I get with life style expectations and floor hours, I know that this is where I am supposed to be. And I am glad I am here.

Oh, and today I observed a ridiculous amount of spudents throwing away their gum. It was surreal.

No comments: