Sunday, July 3, 2011

Another New Addition: Oso

 *Oops, it looks like I forgot to hit "publish" on this one. Nonetheless, enjoy!


Oso is not as new as Ty, the other new addition, but he is still a new addition nonetheless. We adopted this cute little guy from the SPCA for Monterey County back in the beginning of February. We technically weren't looking to walk out with a pup, but when we laid eyes on this little Chow and Corgi mix (Chorgi?) and his sister we knew we had found the one. It took all the self control that I could muster not to leave with both Marlene, Oso's sister, and Oso. The decision was ultimately made by gender-- we technically were looking for a boy (not that we were looking, of course). However, I did go back and check the website religiously until I saw that Marlene, too, was adopted a few days later.

After a few weeks of simple training I had a Water for Elephants moment when I kiddingly looked at Oso and said "¡Sentate!," which means "Sit!" in Spanish. Without a flinch, Oso sat. I thought it was a fluke, but it was not. I then tried "¡Venga!" (the command for come) and Oso came right to me. It was a moment I had wished I had on camera. We have integrated English commands into his vocabulary, but to no avail, his Spanish is much better. So, not only is Oso super cute, cuddly and affectionate but he is bilingual!

I am currently training him to become Therapy Dog Certified but he can't be tested until he is at least one  year, so we have still have a few months! I am sure there will be updates to come.

No comments: